On June 18, 1839, as Nantucket’s great whaling era neared an end, eighteen women and ten men met in Franklin Hall on Water Street to conceive what became the “First Baptist Church of Nantucket.” These people were motivated “to establish a Christian Church in conformity with New Testament principles, that is, a society of believers desiring to follow the Word of God in all of life.”
The church held its first services at Franklin Hall. On May 16, 1840, a committee met at the home of Isaac Coffin to plan the purchase of the Joseph Chase mansion at the corner of Summer Street and Traders Lane where the present church building stands. The Church was incorporated June 29, 1840.
We continue today to be the same evangelical fellowship focusing on our roots in the “evangel” or good news of historic Christianity.
Our year-round congregation of about 100 families worships, studies scripture and fellowships together regularly. We are active in the Nantucket community through hands on ministry as well as being examples of faithful Christians in our daily lives.
We expand to more than double during the season, welcoming summer members and many weekly visitors from near and far.
Because our church family is composed of people from a variety of Christian heritages, in the year 2000 we resurrected the name popular 100 years ago, Summer Street Church.